Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Book Review: Under Pressure by Lori Foster

Title: Under Pressure (Body Armor #1)
by: Lori Foster
Published: Jan 24 2017
Source: Purchased by Me
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo
He can protect anything except his heart

Leese Phelps’s road hasn’t been an easy one, but it’s brought him to the perfect job — working for the elite Body Armor security agency. And what his newest assignment lacks in size, she makes up for in fire and backbone. But being drawn to Catalina Nicholson is a dangerous complication, especially since it could be the very man who hired Leese who’s threatening her.

What Catalina knows could get her killed. But who’d believe the sordid truth about her powerful stepfather? Beyond Leese’s ripped body and brooding gaze is a man of impeccable honour. He’s the last person she expects to trust — and the first who’s ever made her feel safe. And he’s the only one who can help her expose a deadly secret, if they can just stay alive long enough...

Bonus Story Included
"Built for Love" Contractor Jesse Baker knows all about knocking down walls—but chipping away at Tonya Bloom's defenses has been tougher than he expected. The gorgeous blonde has made it clear she doesn't have room in her life for romance…so what is it about her that makes Jesse determined to prove her wrong?

Realtor Tonya is an expert on houses, but building a home—and family—for her newly orphaned nephew, Kevin, is a challenge she never expected. And while Jesse might be a shoulder to lean on, he's also a distraction she can't afford. But with Jesse set on winning her heart, will she realize once and for all that the perfect love doesn't always happen at the perfect time?

Thoughts On The Novel:

I read this book as part of the #SeriesInAMonth challenge hosted by Because Reading. Lori Foster is one of my all time favorite authors, so picking this series was an easy decision. I will also be reviewing the other 3 novels in this series this month. Hopefully; I can convince at least one of you to check out at least one book in this series!

First off; let me say how much I LOVE the fact that this book mentions Cannon and the MMA gym from The Ultimate Fighter Series she wrote! As my all time favorite character Lori Foster has ever written, I love the fact that this series ties into that and the characters came from the same place. - Now; having said that, I have been waiting for Leese since he was mentioned in Denver's story. He is an Alpha man through and through. Foster really knows how to write them. She does so in a way that is not intimidating, but draws us in, has us connecting to him and rooting for every single part of his life by the time the book is done. In the beginning I thought he was kind of work only and he had a not so subtle way of talking to people. Boy did he grow on me. The man is good at his job - but he also understands that sometimes rules can be bent and he has a way of doing things that makes me want to follow him into the deepest pits of hell; knowing that he would save me from anything along the way. I would legit follow this guy anywhere. He's strong; head smart; street smart; full of courage; soft when needed; thoughtful and isn't afraid to show those emotions that men tend to shy away from. What he wasn't expecting at this point is his life, was Catalina - and let me tell you; she came in like a wrecking ball.

"You should know something."
"What's that?"
"I'm not holding you against your will. I'm here to keep you safe."
"So you've said. But if I choose to leave?"
"I'd follow."
Catalina.. sweet; mousey; strong-willed; kind of my spirit animal Cat. The girl is going through hell. She's had to leave her entire life behind. Brothers; a job she loves; her house; and even her plants; that to her complete despair, have died. The girl has her priorities man. She's on the run from people trying to kill her because she overhead things between her Stepfather and other people - but she's going to make sure she takes some time to grieve those plants! She's timid sometimes; but so freaking strong other times; you would think that she does this for a living. She's in your face one minute and blushing the next because she's thinking thoughts she shouldn't be. Despite where she is in life; she wears her heart on her sleeve and she speaks her mind - even when you don't want to hear it.

The chemistry between the two of them is sizzling and completely unable to be ignored by them - or anyone that has two seconds to even glance in their direction. Try as he might; Leese attempted to set rules - silly boy. I love the way Foster can write a few pages that get you kind of steaming and then cut you off.. To be followed a chapter or so later with some seriously steaming pages that make you insanely glad you aren't reading this novel in public. The way these two were written made them seem completely believable as a couple; nothing seemed forced and the two of them complimented each other so effortlessly.

"You're the most impressive man I've ever seen."
"I'm glad you think so, because I've been craving you since we met."
"Do I measure up?"
"You're hotter than even my imagination. And I imagined you naked a lot."
I read this book in one sitting; and that's not something I can do very often around my house! Foster has yet to write a book that disappoints me. I honestly do not think she could. She is a go to author for me and I love that she has managed to create that for me. Aside from the two mains of the novel; the secondary characters are amazing as well. Saraha (who owns Body Armor) is freaking amazing. That woman is 100% my spirit animal and boy did I love reading anything pertaining to her. Let's not forget about Justice.. Sweet; no filter Justice. You will learn more about both of these characters as you read the series.

"You need to be careful too, Sahara."

She cooked her head. "I would tell you that careful is my middle name - " her expression hardened "- but actually it's vengeance."
If you are looking for a novel to rock your socks; tug on those heart strings; get your blood pumping; your heart pounding and those pages turning - look no further than this novel and the ones that follow! Lori Foster will bring all of that out in you - and she does it effortlessly.

Broken Soul Rating

4/5 Hearts for Under Pressure - Def a TOP READ!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss With Me!

What did you think after reading the review?
Have you read this novel before?
Read anything by this author before?
Is it something you will add to your TBR list?
I'd love to hear from all of you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment